April 7, 2020

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT ⭐️ Sue Munns - Please Mr Rix



radioairplay.com independent new music



Sue Munns - Please Mr Rix
Country, Folk, Easy listening
Australia




Singer/songwriter from  “The Edge” @Beacon in the West Australian Wheatbelt.  Isolation and an amazing diversity in the natural environment  nurture this songwriter, with good seasonal rains seeing her spending countless hours amongst the wildflowers, where many songs are born. Sue draws on the talent of daughter Amber  singing in her gorgeous  “Stevie Nicks” tones The most humbling experience has been the simple “thankyou” from a stranger who found solace and strength in her song.


Tell us more about "Please Mr Rix" - It is a song about getting out of our comfort zone and the fear and discomfort this can create.  Based on the culmination of the end of school days and the immediate freedoms this allows,  how easy it is to make poor decisions. Hungrily awaiting “adulthood”, when it arrives it can be daunting. “Mr Rix” is everything that is familiar and safe. The naming of Mr Rix is simply a tribute to an incredible School Principle, (in name only!)

Mr Rix was recorded in Perth with Andy Court, who we have worked with before. Andy  has been recording for over 25 years and  knows how to squeeze out the last drop of juice! A master in harmony it is always a pleasure. 


"Please Mr Rix" is an elegant yet sophisticated folk song that will make you stop whatever you are doing and unwind admiring delicate vocals, intertwining harmonies, and Sue Munns' strong storytelling abilities. - RadioAirplay.com


How are you impacted as a musician during this time?
I live on the very edge of Western Australia’s Wheatbelt on a farm of around 40,000 acres so isolation is nothing new. We embrace every opportunity and have some gigs in the pipeline providing in the months ahead the lifting of social distancing. 

I am unable to do planned recording now so am focusing on songwriting and have a number of songs  almost ready. 

I will be working on a sponsored tourism music video featuring one of my songs written about a local rock, “Billiburning”, a favourite picnic destination for generations and wildflower hotspot. 

Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?
An emotional journey whispering secrets , pulsing  of heartache, unfolding stories and reaching deep inside to soothe.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
My earliest musical memory is of my father filling our “lounge room” with his band gear leaving no room for chairs and  then going to sleep listening to them create “Creedence”. Also being first to the town hall to set up and asked to spread the Wheeties across the floor for the dancers.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.
I often start a song amongst the wildflowers walking and sometimes even have to get up in the night to record an idea. I always record my progress so I don’t forget melody. Some take me ages to finish and others are really quick. I stick with what I know or tell stories about others or events.

Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's your creative juices flowing?
My inspiration often comes from time amongst the wildflowers. I can be seen walking about our property singing  to the birds and Roos (anyone who will listen)  working on lyrics and melody. I have also drawn on  life experience  .
I love to tell stories of past events and people and have  been encouraged by the reaction of strangers  at songwriter events.

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
I  enjoy  the live performance  ,particularly  doing originals, but do love going into the studio to really  build  my songs as I don’t have a band.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy!
Yes total brain fade near the end of a performance of an original song that was going awesomely well in front of a huge audience, and I got distracted!!  Couldn’t even think of my own name!  

What has been a highlight for you in the past year? (Either personally or for your music career.)
Highlight in the past year has been selection on West Australian Music compilation CD.

If you were to cover another band/artist's song/record, which would you pick and why?
Probably Linda Ronstadt’s Desperado, I love the emotion.

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?
Kasey Chambers/Shane Nicholson, Kimmie Rhodes, Andy Michaels,(Angel) Carla Geneva.

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
I am from  a long line of gardeners and have  had this undeniable  need to get amongst the dirt.

What's one thing people should know about you?
I am old enough to write from experience.


If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be?
You are never alone.

https://www.facebook.com/sueemunns