March 29, 2020

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT ⭐️ Al Morreira - I Need You



radioairplay.com independent new music



Al Morreira - I Need You
Pop, Country, Hawaiian
HI, United States





Al Morreira was born in Hawaii and started playing guitar at age 12, that is, when he wasn't surfing on the north shore of Oahu where he grew up. Al enjoyed the beautiful beaches and exotic sunsets that inspired him as a songwriter. His beautiful voice and songwriting talent allowed him to share his love of music by performing internationally, while serving in the U.S. Air Force. 

Al's success as a guitarist-vocalist placed him first in 11 Air Force Talent contests. He was the grand prize winner for an Omaha,Nebraska radio station. This led him to being nationally recognized with a recording contract in Nashville, Tennessee, where he charted "Top 100 Country" in Billboard and Cash box magazines, with the single "Where do I go from Here", under his then show name "Al Garrison". Al has since returned home and has been sharing his music locally appearing in numerous events, radio and the television show "Hawaii Stars".  A caregiver for his mom until her passing and away from his music for a while, Al is now back to his songwriting and wanting to share his music again.

Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?
My sound is easy listening, heartfelt songs. I've been told sounds similar to Elvis Presley, BJ Thomas, Englebert Humperdinck and slight Tom Jones.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
My first musical electrifying moment was as a child, seeing Elvis Presley singing and playing the guitar in the movie "Love Me Tender".  This triggered my love for music and wanting to play the guitar which eventually I was able to acquire and was able to perform for audiences in small and large venues also in competing in various talent contests.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.
Yes, I write/compose my own songs which I enjoy.  My creative process with this is to first get the feel on the song/music then create the lyrics to fit that feel.

Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's your creative juices flowing?
Listening to other artists such as Tom Jones, Elvis Presley and other present artists who create the musical feel  with their singing presentation definitely gets my creative juices flowing.  I believe a good song written and expressed well, is equivalent to a good, effective speaker who can translate that feeling and excitement in a powerful way that the audience and relate to it, enjoy it or be a part of it.

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
Through the years, I've enjoyed live performances but for now I'm enjoying more the writing and doing studio recording of my own songs and presenting it to our audiences via the internet.  This has been a God's gift for me in the healing process having been a caregiver for our mother until her very last breath.  She and my dad were my greatest musical supporters.  Music is the best thin in anyone's life, I believe, whether one is writing, creating it or as a listener.   Very healing and good for the soul.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy! I've had two on stage shocking and embarrassing moments:
1. While entertaining with my band members, I stepped up to the microphone to sing, got close to the mike touching my lips to the microphone immediately getting a shock bite to my lips which threw me back. Not sure what happened, cross current of whatever but it zapped me good to which I earned the name "Hot Lips".    Funny but scary.

2. Sitting, singing the song "Feelings" with my eyes closed and really getting into it, I hear the audiences soft voices chattering which confused me as to why this was happening.  As I open my eyes I see that my microphone on the stand was not secured well and it slipped down so the my voice became softer and distant and the microphone was down at about crotch level.   Now, keeping this in mind, this was in the middle of a contest.  Not good!  

What has been a highlight for you in the past year? (Either personally or for your music career.)
Highlight for me in the past year has been with Radio Airplay in the amount of audience enjoyment of my songs with a accelerating accumulation of fans that I'm gaining daily.  To a songwriter this has to be a highlight to songwriting knowing that many are liking and enjoying the music we've created. A wonderful feeling!

If you were to cover another band/artist's song/record, which would you pick and why?
Although I really doing my own music and the various songs that I have, I would enjoy doing songs by Englebert Humperdinck, Elvis Presley and Tom Jones.  I would pick these because as I previously mentioned like a great speaker they really come across with the message to each song with feeling, happy or sad.

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?
There are so many great artists today as in the past so this is a really good question.  I have been so busy lately working on my own song material that I have not been paying attention to other songs at the moment.  I'm having so much fun trying to get my songs out there to our audiences that I've been concentrating on this only at this time.  

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
Outside of music, I enjoy looking after my health and caring for myself the best I can.  Being a caregiver, though tremendously rewarding and I would never trade it for the world, took quite a toll on my health.  With this said, I enjoy my daily exercise, eating healthy, relaxing and working with my computer in designing my music album covers. Actually, music is my hobby, I'm having a great time with it and it does rejuvenate my  creativity on different levels.

What's one thing people should know about you?
I truly enjoy seeing people happy, healthy, productive and successful doing whatever complements these for them individually. Primarily, without our health we each do not have anything.  


If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be?
Live well, love much, enjoy and appreciate life and each other to the fullest. Like the notes in a song, when all is in key, the music is so beautiful!  Music is a powerful, healing element, enjoy it!