November 19, 2018

Artist Spotlight ★ Thom Chacon ★ ISC 2017 Finalist

On his latest album, “Blood In The USA”, Thom Chacon continues to deliver his own kind of American story telling. Recorded at Pie Studios in Glen Cove, NY with Bob Dylan’s bass player, Tony Garnier and Tommy Mandel (Dire Straits, Brian Adams) on Hammond B-3 Organ, Thom offers cinematic narratives that focus on work, family and the forgotten members of society. In January, 2018 the Durango, Colorado songwriter, hit the road once again, this time on an eleven city tour in Italy and in the same month landed on the front cover of the legendary, Italian music magazine, Buscadero. Upon his return to Italy in July, 2018, Thom was named Buscadero’s “Best New Artist”. With an old acoustic guitar and a weathered voice, Thom breathes life into the characters he creates on paper. 

Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?

Hardscrabble, American storytelling.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?

When I was three or four years old, sitting in the kitchen at my parents house, and Glen Campbell's, "Rhinestone Cowboy" came over the airwaves! By the second chorus I was trying to sing along. I was hooked.

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?

Tom Waits album, "Closing Time". Great words, music and vocal melodies. It would be a good challenge. 

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.

Yes, I write my own songs. I try to constantly write down (what I think) are interesting phrases or stories I've gathered in everyday life, weather it's something someone said or something I've read. Then I sit with an acoustic guitar and put words to musical ideas I have. 

Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's your creative juices flowing?

Things that keep me up at night. For example, I just wrote a song about the great political divide in our country. I enjoy writing about other peoples lives, some that I know and some I don't. I have a song called, "Innocent Man" that was written about Anthony Graves who spent 18 years in jail for a crime he did not commit. Anthony was proven innocent and released and remarkably was not bitter towards the people responsible for his conviction. Heavy.

What has been a highlight for you in the past year?  (Either personally or for your music career.)

I toured Italy twice this year and was named "Best New Artist" by Italy's Buscadero Magazine, a great honor.

What 's next? Can you give us a hint for whats to come remainder of 2018 into 2019?

I'm in the middle of recording a new album for release in 2019. I'll be doing some shows in the states and heading back to Europe in the spring.

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?

Performing live is hard to beat. The challenge it presents in terms of being the best performer you can be every night is motivating and the connection that is made between audience and artist is addicting. 

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?

Mary Gauthier, she has a new album called "Rifles and Rosary Beads", she's a great storyteller. I've also been listening to a lot of Leon Russell lately. The song I've been hearing over and over is "C is for Cookie" by Cookie Monster because my three year old insists on hearing it several times a day.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.

Many years ago I was performing at a club with my old band and I jumped up in the air and my right foot came down on the base of the mic stand causing the microphone to hit me in the forehead, LOL. It cut me pretty good, it was an awkward moment.

What's one thing people should know about you?

I spell my name with an "h". Thom. Worst mistake I've ever made but it's important (in this day and age) to find my music online.

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?

Outside of music I work as a fly- fishing guide in Durango, Colorado. I'm outside wading or floating a river six months out of the year. Fishing, hiking and rowing is good for clearing my head.

If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be?

Do something nice for someone if you get the chance. I'm trying to practice this advice. 



Thom's Links: