November 28, 2018

Artist Spotlight ★ Tamar Davis ★ Second Place for Unsigned Only's 2017 Song Contest

Davis, known as the muse & protégé of Prince, gained notoriety for co-writing their Grammy-nominated duet "Beautiful, Loved, and Blessed” (“3121”/Universal Republic). A graduate of University of Southern California's Thornton School of Music, Davis is currently portraying her featured actress nominated roles of Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin and shining through her operatic chops in the Broadway touring production of “A Night with Janis Joplin” and has recently starred as Sarah Vaughn in “Sarah Sings a Love Story” (Crossroads Theatre). With recent appearances on NBC’s “The Voice,” debuting in the first national tour of “Motown, the Musical,” as well as performing in numerous Tyler Perry/LionsGate productions, Davis has commercially released two independent albums, “I Am the Storm” and “My Name is Tamar” via her company Syren Music Group. Though music is a conduit for reaching people through song, Ms. Davis has successfully initiated various Edu-tainment community outreach projects: The Syren Arts Academy, the College, Career, and Empowerment Summit, the Next Level Houston, and DocFest. Támar has performed on an eleven-city national tour “Támar featuring Prince” as well as Good Morning America, Saturday Night Live, the NAACP Image Awards, the BRIT Awards as well as being featured in numerous magazines from Glamour Magazine to VIBE. Támar Davis is the 2017 recipient of the “Top 30 Most Influential Women of Houston” award and continues to thrive to pay it forward through education and the arts.


Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence? 

My sound is reminiscent of funk, pop, rock, R & B, but yet with an inspiring nuanced sound of melodic ballads and harmonies that bring out the goodness in life.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up? 

My earliest memories of music is when I would clean up the house with my family and my mom would play "God be With You" by Deleon Richards. The purity in her vocals made me cry every Saturday morning and sing it in church almost every Sunday. Thats was the first igniting light in my heart about the power of music.

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why? 

"The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" was the most epic album I've ever heard to this day. Lyrically she was preaching. Vocally she was moving and melodically she set a bar un-matched. She made us respect the power of a positive message in song and breaking the needle in the music business at the time. Oh to write in that freedom is the most liberating thing ever. 

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.

I write 99% of all my songs. Lately I have heard my songs a cappella and therefore, record them as such. But the album I co-produced with my mentor and the late, great legend Prince, I actually created the songs on bass. Prince would then build the song on piano and then we would call in the best musicians and literally record the song on the spot with everyone in one recording room. Nothing compares to having a budget and paying actual musicians to bring your music to life. And quiet as kept, I actually write my verses first having no clue what the chorus will sound like until I get to that moment.

Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's your creative juices flowing?

Life. What's going in the world and my life at that exact time. I don't believe in writing about something I haven't experienced. Either I've lived it, living it, or see someone dealing with it: Life, that is.

What has been a highlight for you in the past year?


I can humbly say that at age 18, I performed in the famed Kennedy Center as a presidential scholar in the arts with the National Foundation for the Advancement in the Arts organization and received a gold medal from former President Bill Clinton.  

What 's next? Can you give us a hint for whats to come remainder of 2018 into 2019? 

I'm not at liberty to share details, but let's just say, "I own an album not in the vault co-produced with the greatest musician of all time AND it's finally going to see the light of day."

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio? 

Nothing compares to performing live. It's a joy to use God's gifts and feel the impact of what He does every single time I get onstage whether it's for children or a crowd of over 5,000 people. It's true humility.

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over? 

I've always been a huge fan of Barbra Streisand, Whitney Houston, Prince, Rufus/Chaka Khan, and Brandy. But lately I am a huge listener of Vulpeck, Esperanza Spaulding, Robert Glasper, Ellen Kayne, Kendrick Lamar, Masego, Mali Music and Jasmine Sullivan.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy. 

One time while performing, the strobe lights turned on at the Roxy in Los Angeles and I fell straight into the audience. They actually thought I was conducting a rock-star dive. And they caught me. Hilarious. Let's just say the strobe lights remained not apart of the tour from that moment on.

What's one thing people should know about you? 

I love to color before and during a show. One of the most therapeutic activities to relax my thoughts.

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity? 

Outside of music, I enjoy teaching my artistic master classes and family, family, family time.

If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be? 

I don't take my #Tamily, #TamFam for granted. Every message they send me is always on time and very encouraging. I enjoy when they entrust me to give them advice and then apply it and respond with good news about their achievements. I truly believe that the supporters are more important today than ever. And I enjoy seeing #Tamily grow.