November 7, 2018

Artist Spotlight ★ Ryan Curran ★ Relix On The Rise Winner


 Ryan Curran

Meet Ryan Curran, an Indie Singer-Songwriter. He was the most recent Relix.com On the Rise winner for his song Greed. Originally from Boston, Massachusetts, Ryan now resides in Southern California. He has an eclectic mindset when it comes to music, as you can tell by the modern-vintage sound and style of his songs.


While writing and performing Ryan is also attending college in pursuit of a degree in Kinesiology: Fitness & Health. He already possesses two Associate Degrees in the health field.



Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?
The best way to describe my sound would be a mash up of
The Lumineers, Cage The Elephant, Dry The River and The
Beatles. RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE, ETC.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
I have two early musical related memories. The first would
be picking up one of my dad’s acoustic guitars, and teaching
myself how to play Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds. My second
memory is listening to the Dark Side of The Moon, which to this
day is still my all time favorite record.

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which
would you pick and why?
I taught myself how to play guitar by covering Beatles
songs, and to this day they are still my favorite band to cover
(Mostly there mid to latter years). If my vocal range was a bit
higher I would choose to cover Shallow Bed by Dry The River,
which is without a doubt one of the most beautiful albums ever
made.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe
your songwriting process.
I write/compose all my own music. My songwriting process
generally consists of me sitting down with an acoustic guitar, and
figuring out a chord progression that I vibe with. Once I have a
progression I like I create a lyrical melody over the top, and
usually at some point an emotion strikes me, and I write lyrics
based on whatever the music makes me feel.

Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's
your creative juices flowing?
I have noticed I tend to write the best when I have
something to look forward to doing later on in the day. Sometimes
I will purposefully make plans late at night, knowing that I am
giving myself a dedicated time to sit and write before I go out. I
find that having something to look forward to takes the pressure
off a bit. People, historical events & relationships get the juices
flowing.

What has been a highlight for you in the past year?
One of my biggest highlights from the last year is the
completion of my first album - Beacon Hill. It took me years to
finish writing/recording/producing to get to the point that I
thought it was finished, and ready to be heard. Releasing it was a
combination of excitement and relief. Buying a couple Taylor
guitars and the completion of building my Dad’s and my studio,
Leprechaun Crossing Studios, didn’t hurt.

What 's next? Can you give us a hint for whats to come
remainder of 2018 into 2019?
The best way to describe my plans in the near future is
music, music, music. Not a single day goes by that I’m not sitting
in my home studio working on a song. If I’m not writing, I’m
mixing. If I'm not mixing I’m teaching myself the ins and outs of
music production. We live in a world where we literally have entire
orchestras at our finger tips, and I think too many people take for
granted how lucky we are to have such a diverse catalog of
sounds, and instruments built into our computers. Oh, and
continuing with my college education.

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the
studio?
I like both, but I like being in the studio a bit more.
Performing is nice because you get to create a relationship with
people face to face, but recording gives me a feeling of endless
opportunity. Every time I sit down to write I always remind myself
that I can create anything I want to, and that there are no
boundaries.

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the
moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening
to over and over?
Recently I have been listening to a lot of Post Malone, Dry
The River, and Cage The Elephant. Ive been listening to a lot more
rap and hip hop recently.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share?
C’mon, don’t be shy.
I played a show in high school during lunch time in front of
the entire campus. I remember we played a Nirvana song, and I
completely butchered it. I realized soon after, that my guitar was
on a clean setting the entire time, because I had forgotten to
switch on my distortion pedal. “In Bloom’ doesn't hit as hard when
the whole song is played clean.

What's one thing people should know about you?
I like cookies.

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your
hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
I love playing basketball, and running. Exercise always helps
getting the creative juices flowing. I also like spending time with
close friends, and eating. And I enjoy picking up my dogs shit
while bringing him on walks.

If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it
be?
Stick around, because there are big things coming in the
future. And, let me know if there’s a music video you want me to
shoot for any particular song! If I get enough response on one
particular piece, I’ll do it.

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
I like that Radio Airplay gives indie artists a chance to be
heard by a diverse group of listeners. Its a great way to get
exposure to people that may never have had the chance to hear
your music. Knowing my music is being heard also motivates me
to write more.

Ryan Curran links:
https://www.facebook.com/ryancurranmusic
https://twitter.com/ryancurranmusic?lang=en
https://www.instagram.com/dailyginger
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDF15h_CaSzk-HtKCQYdsNw