June 8, 2018

Center Stage - Annabella

This week's Center Stage pick is an inspiring and talented young musician, AnnabellaA singer, songwriter and performance artist born in Sao Paulo, Brazil. She moved to the US at a young age, and after a brief time in California, she moved to the Washington DC area where she grew up outside of Annapolis Maryland. 

Annabella spent much of her childhood studying music and performing all over the capital area. She has been acting, singing and studying music for most of her life, and has been a member of several school and professional choirs, winning several awards for her exceptional voice. Eventually, Annabella moved to Macon Georgia where she is currently active in theatre and performing in many local productions while continuing to grow her musical talent. 

Get to know the talented young artist in our latest Q&A feature:

Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?
A combination of what you hear everyday on the radio and the beauty of indie music hidden in the depths of music platforms.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
For some reason one song that sticks out from my childhood is “Black Horse and a Cherry Tree” that me and my mother listened to. 

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?
Dodie Clark and her Intertwined EP! She is an absolute inspiration to me and my writing and i love her songs. 

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process
Yes, i write and compose my own songs. Typically I build the song around chords and add lyrics as I go. I normally stop at bridges when I write because I think they’re kind of a jumble of nonsense placed randomly within a song.

What was the highlight for you in 2017? Either personally or for your music career?
Definitely just getting to begin my music career and actually recording something I’m proud of and putting it out into the world. Taking the songs that only the walls of my bedroom hears (and my sister hearing me from the next room) and getting thousands of people to now listen and enjoy and relate to. That's all I’ve ever wanted to do.

What have you been working on recently? Can you give us a hint for whats to come in 2018?
If you’re looking for more music content that’s what you’re gonna get!!

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
Depends on the day...Sometimes I get so nervous in performing live that it ruins any enjoyable aspect of it. Other times its my favorite thing to do, far beyond studio recording. I’d say it’s 50-50.

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?
Billie Eilish- she’s so incredibly talented and definitely inspires me to want to take my music more in the direction of what she’s doing.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.
Well this is still on a stage but not necessarily to do with music...Once I was in a school production and I had just gone center stage and completed my monologue, I turned to walk off stage and tripped and fell face flat on the ground in front of the whole school. Luckily my character was somewhat of a crybaby so i played it off and cried my way off stage.

What's one thing people should know about you?
Even though music is definitely a talent of mine there is far more work that has gone into my musicality then it seems. For instance, I adore music theory and know practically every aspect of it mainly because I've been in chorus since 3rd grade. Music has always been a huge part of me.

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? 
Musical theatre! Singing, dancing and acting are all major passions of mine.

Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
Absolutely! I learn so much from musical theatre. Most of all it helps immensely with my stage presence and confidence. I feel the most me in that space. 

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
I love getting the fan notifications and being able to see who my listeners and fans are.