March 22, 2018

Center Stage - Michael Aaron

Michael Aaron is a songwriter, producer, and composer based in Los Angeles. Influenced by bands such as Radiohead, Neil Young, and the Beatles, he taught himself guitar, drums, piano, and any other instruments he could get his hands on. 


Michael Aaron thrives in the studio collaborating with his favorite artists and bands - either running sessions, featured as a player himself, or working as a producer. 


He's never necessarily considered himself a solo artist, but he looks forward to releasing some of his own material soon. Get to know Michael a little better in our latest Center Stage feature



Describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence
Melodic, wonky and richly textured Americana 

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process
Yes. It depends on what project I'm writing for. Usually I'll start with guitar, and I'll create a track adding drums, bass, and any other instruments I feel will suit the song. Once that's in a solid place and I'm feeling good and inspired by it, I'll write the melody and lyrics on top. 

Besides music, what are some other passions or hobbies you enjoy?
I love traveling, tennis and spending time with family and friends. 

If you were to cover another band's album, which would you pick and why?
That's so hard! The Beatle's Rubber Soul is coming to mind. It think it's just one of the most important rock & roll albums of all time. It comes down to the songs for me, and every song on this record is amazing. 

What are five songs you guys are listening to right now?
Andy Shauf - The Magician 
Madlib - Slim's Return
Margaret Glaspy - You and I 
Blake Mills - If I'm Unworthy 
Dr. Dog - The Breeze 

What was the best part of 2017 for you? What was the low point?
The best part of 2017 for me musically, was being able to collaborate with and produce some great records with wonderful people and artists. The low point perhaps has been not putting enough time as I would have liked on my own music & recordings. 

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
I personally love the studio. There's nothing like spending days or weeks working with awesome musicians and creating something beautiful together. A recording also lasts forever, which I think is really special. 

Do you have a pre-recording ritual? 
Before a session starts, I like to have a cup of coffee and come up with a game plan for the day, clear my head and get pumped up. 

What is the most-likely compliment from fans after a show?
Hearing that your music touched someone in a special way is always a cool feeling. 

What's one thing people should know about you?
Go Knicks! 

What does 2018 have in store for you? What can we expect from you in the near future?
I'm working with my wife on a new project featuring original music from us. I'm also eager to put out my own EP in the coming months so stay tuned! 

That's great you get to collaborate with your wife musically. Have you guys been playing together for a while?
Yes, that's how we met actually! She hired me as a producer for an album she was working on. I fell in love with the music and I fell in love with her. We've been making music together and separately ever since. It's really awesome! 

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
I love that strangers around the world get to hear my music. It's a unique platform to learn what people like about my music and to receive feedback.