October 26, 2017

Center Stage - NEEDSHES

Meet NEEDSHES - an indie rock band created by the singer-songwriter Otabek Salamov in Tashkent. Their sound could be described as alternative, indie rock with echoes of funk, punk, reggae and blues. The band stands out with their charismatic  vocal, bright memorable melodies, expressive melodic arrangements.

They released EP 'Mixed Feelings' (2016) and full studio album 'Feel Alright (2014). EP was placed by iTunes in TOP 10 new ‘Alternative’ releases.

The project appeared when Otto started to compose melodic songs, after he had been tired of metalcore in teen-age band. At that time he was performing like "vocal, guitar and MacBook Pro". Later Otabek moved from Uzbekistan to Russia. Now he temporarily lives in Moscow where continues to compose music and perform with the live band.

Their song Time to See was chosen as the winning song in the Unsigned Only 2017 competition and got the second place in Rock category and the one and only special nomination “Hit a homerun with your music”.

NEEDSHES has achieved success as a regional live band, performing at different venues: XIX World Festival of Youth and Students in Russia (Sochi), festivals by Metro International newspaper, BOSCO Fresh Fest (shared the stage with the Boxer Rebellion, John Newman),  corporate events by INFINITI and other international brands, city events in parks, gigs at Hard Rock Cafe.

Get to know NEEDSHES, what they've been up to, and what they've got in store for us in this most recent Center Stage artist Q&A.

What was the inspiration behind writing and recording the winning song, Time To See?
In fact there is no mystery… I composed the first verse with a chorus in a few hours. And then it was a year of work with breaks during which you should get distracted from the song. It helps to look at your song from the other side and find new areas for improvement. So you should really work hard in order to get some perfect result.

Is the song part of an upcoming release?
The song became a part of EP Mixed Feelings released December 09, 2016.

Describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence
It’s an alternative, indie rock with echoes of funk, punk, reggae and blues.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
I remember my uncle. He was playing guitar almost all the time. And he taught me this skill and generated the interest to music in me. Now I realize that my playlist consists of the songs  which my uncle played in my childhood.

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?
Well, probably it might be the album of Amy Winehouse, Back to Black. I really like her music. She is a phenomenon and important figure of music of the 21st century.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process
Yes, I am singer-songwriter. I just wake up in the morning and pick up my guitar, play something that is in my mind. An hour or two later and I have a new song. This is the most inspiring and significant moment.

What has been the highlight for you in 2017? Either personally or for your music career?
There are a lot of things that happened. First of all, we won the Unsigned Only competition as you know. Our song Time to See also won the regional competition. And, no less important, the song became a soundtrack to the advertisement of Renault Duster and now you can hear it on all the federal TV channels in Russia.

What have you been working on recently? Can you give us a hint for whats to come in your music career?
I think this should remain a secret. Of course we work on new songs in order to issue LP in the near future. But I won’t give any promises concerning that.

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
Both of them. These are two irreplaceable parts of the whole being of the musical artist.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.
Can’t remember something really embarrassing. Once during a performance, my microphone just stopped working. I ran behind the stage and got a new one and started to sing behind the scenes. When I returned to the stage, people met me with stormy applause. I guess they liked that s***.

What's one thing people should know about you?
I was born in Tashkent.

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
Outside my music I’m producing other artists. So my life is all around the music one way or another.

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
I like that people from all over the world can find my music band based on their music interests in world famous artists like Coldplay, Muse, The Neighbourhood etc.