February 10, 2017

Center Stage - May Wells

Meet our latest Center Stage artist, May Wells  - A finalist with her group The Garlics on MusiquePlus’s 2011 edition of Houseband Recherché, May Wells quickly took to the art of composing and producing original material. 

With The Garlics,  she put out three albums and six radio tracks that were well received by Quebec radio stations and aired as far afield as France, Switzerland and Belgium (with a track even making it  to the waves of Virgin Radio France). After playing WE Day Montreal 2015, The Garlics scored another triumph as the opening  act for Simple Plan. 

Leaving a trail of successes and fans behind them, The Garlics split, May is now ready to achieve new goals with her own music. She’s now introducing herself to the world as May Wells, and you can bet that you’ll be hearing more about her in the future.

Get to know the young artist, what inspires her, and what she's got planned for her promising musical career:

Describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence
It’s a pop/nightlife/groovy kinda world! And it’s all about my own experiences, just like an open book ;)

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
I remembered performing in front of my close family around 3 years old at my grandparents’ house! I would only sing my own songs and I would sell tickets for those shows haha! 

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?
I think I would pick a song from Sarah McLachlan (probably «Building A Mystery» or «Fallen») since it brings a lot of good memories with my Mom and Dad :) My Mom showed me her music first and I think she’s an awesome songwriter! I also think that when you do a cover, better take something from the 90’s now: it’ll bring good memories to everyone actually :)

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process
I ALWAYS write and compose my own songs! I have such an interesting life (going through bad and good) that I like to be inspired by what life throws at me :) Sometimes, I start with a melody and then I’ll find a guitar part to go with it. But these days, I try to improve my guitar playing, so I start with a good guitar riff and then I’ll find the good lyrics to go with it. Usually, I will already know what the song with be about :)

What was your highlight of 2016, either for you personally or for you music career? What was the low point?
My highlight was be to be really healthy! I got my pacemaker during the summer of 2015 so it was my first year being really healthy :) Otherwise, it would be the release of my solo EP: I get so many good comments about my new project and sound that it really is the highlight of 2016! Going from being in a band to being solo is very stressful - especially when you’re figuring out your sound - but now that I (think) I found it, it really is about writing hits and having fun! I always try to be positive and make the best out of every situation!

Can you give give us a little hint on what's to come in 2017?
I’m releasing my first single across Canada: «We All Want Love» and I’m really excited about it! It’s the first time I’m really trying something outside of the Province of Quebec and in North America! I will also be performing at the Canadian Music Week in Toronto this year, so it’s all good news :)

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
I like both actually! And I need both in order to have a good balance in my life :) But I gotta say that I love meeting my #Maysters after shows, so I would probably say: performing live haha ;)

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.
I was opening for Simple Plan with my former band, The Garlics, during the summer of 2015 and we messed up the beginning of one song in front of 20K people loll… Let’s just say that we made the crowd realize we are all humans haha! Otherwise, it would probably be that I always almost fall on stage since I jump so much haha!

What's one thing people should know about you?
I mentionned it but I have a pacemaker; I got it when I was 22 (I’m now 24). Since this, I’ve started my own fundraiser to help medical researches for heart diseases in Montreal: Pace The Beat!

I’m also a feminist and I believe in love and equality for all human! :)

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
I’m a business woman so I like to be involve in projects that’ll help people in general (Pace The Beat). I also have my own production company, I have my bachelor degree in journalism and I’m now finishing my second year in lawschool! I like to think that you can do everything you want in life, you just gotta plan those steps and just start doing things! Yes, it’ll be hard and you’ll have to make sacrifices, but when you get to be a good influence for the people around you: it’s worth it!

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
I like the fact that we get to connect so much with the fans! It really is a beautiful community of people enjoying music :) 



May Wells - We All Want Love