May 11, 2016

Center Stage - Kennedy Noel


We're proud to introduce our most recent pick for Center Stage artist - Kennedy Nöel.
The pop-rock singer & songwriter has captured the ears and hearts of Jango listeners worldwide, and of the staff here at Radio Airplay. 

Her song "Let It Go" stands out in particular,  with it's big infectious female power pop and hooky vocal melodies, you'll be singing along after the first listen.

The incredibly talented and positive musician has already accomplished so much at such a young age, and we're looking forward to what she's got cooking for the future. 

“Old soul, but young hearted” are the common words used to describe this passionate, driven actress, painter and singer/songwriter known as Kennedy Nöel. This 2 time cancer survivor, all by the age of 18, has a new outlook on life, and is ready to spread her message through her new EP called “Cross Over”. She is a wanna-be ninja, a dyslexic who dreams of spelling correctly, and most importantly a chick who wants to rock.

Describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence
Indie pop/rock with synth bass layers and guitar driven melodies. 

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
I’ve grown up in a music based family, so it has been a part of my life since birth. I started recording in a studio when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old singing covers of Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, and Brie Larson. I had a lot of spunk for how little I was, and I can’t help but laugh when I listen to those recordings now! 

What was the first tune(s) you learned?
Some of my very first recordings was of Avril Lavigne’s “Happy Ending” and Brie Larson’s “She Said”. My voice was so little in those recordings, but even that style of music still influences me today. 

What genre(s) are you most influenced by today? What are a couple of your favorite artists you've been recently jamming out to?
I mostly listen to and am influenced by pop and indie pop artists like Bleachers, Chvrches, and Lights, but I'm also influenced by rock bands like Paramore and Conditions.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process
I co-write on all of my songs. I specialize in lyrics and melodies, but occasionally I’ve composed the music as well. I really like to take from my life experiences, or the experiences of others around me. Once I feel like I have a strong concept, I will usually call up some other writers in town and put a session together. I prefer to co-write because I know that writing with others challenges me to think past what I think would be good.

If you were to cover another artist's album, which would you pick and why?
There is a somewhat underground pop/punk band called Conditions, and their album “Full of War” is absolutely incredible. The way they write their songs and the kind of lyrics they use is so inspiring to me, and although their style is more hardcore than mine, I would love to take those songs and make them my own. 

What was the highlight of 2015, either for you personally or for the band? What was the low point?
I released my EP “Cross Over” in 2015, and it was such an amazing experience. I did a fundraiser to create the project, and to be able to see so many people invest in what I do and love is unlike anything else. This EP was about my previous year, and to see and hear it come to life with the help of others was by far the highlight of 2015! My low point was that I was battling cancer throughout that year and the year before, which makes doing music hard but not impossible. It did make writing and recording harder than usual, but it also helped me to reach a new point of vulnerability in my music. 

Dealing with cancer at such a young age while continuing on with your musical aspirations is an amazing feat. Your story is definitely an inspiring one. Any words of encouragement or experience you'd pass on to someone that may be going through something similar? 
The number one piece of advice I would give to people who are going through what I've gone through, is to not let cancer become your identity nor hold you back. It may make life harder, but not impossible. I don't find my identity in being a cancer survivor, though I am proud of that. I just find it as a source of encouragement to work harder. 

What is 2016 looking like for you? Upcoming projects?  Can you give us a little hint, on what we can expect for this year?
I will be touring for the very first time this year! I will be traveling all around the south and east coast playing at different colleges and events. It is going to be such an amazing experience and I’m so excited to see what is going to come of it. I am also currently writing for the next project. 

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.
So far I really haven’t had any embarrassing moments on stage, thankfully. Let’s hope this doesn’t jinx it!

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate their creativity?
I really love to bake and do anything that has to do with art. Sometimes when I have a hard time being creative in music, doing art or even stress baking helps get the juices flowing. 

What's your favorite thing you like to bake? What kind of visual art do you do? Do you mainly paint, sketch, draw?
I love baking cookies and cakes! I spent years trying to perfect my chocolate chip cookie, and I think I have finally figured it out! I really enjoy graphic design and multimedia painting. I like to take different textures to create art, and I'm able to do that on the computer and on a canvas. I’ve got a new project I’m working on now where I used paint on my face for a photo shoot. I’m so stoked how it's turning out, and I can’t wait to reveal it soon.

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
I love how Radio Airplay gives indie artists like us, a platform to be able to present our work and get it out to the masses.