August 27, 2015

Center Stage - Luke Underhill

Get to know our latest awesomely talented Center Stage artist, Luke Underhill

A young rising star in the Chicago area, Luke has already gained national attention with his music. He is a 19 yr old singer/songwriter who plays multiple instruments and continues to turn heads when he performs with his band or as a solo artist. 


Adopted at birth, Luke also has an adopted sister 2 months and 3 days younger. Luke proudly displays a Roman numeral tattoo on his upper forearm that reads 10.16.95, the day his adoptive parents brought him home from the hospital, which he describes it as “the day my parents saved my life".

Describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence.
There is nothing super crazy about my sound. It is basically simple, fun, and melodious-Whether it is for relaxing at home or dancing in your bedroom!

What inspires you to make music?
I have had some personal rough patches, as everyone has, so I write and perform music to make my personal troubles a beautiful learning lesson for my fans, because they could be going through something similar. 

What aspect of making music excites you the most right now?
The fact that just with a simple four chords and a catchy melody, I have the opportunity to change someones life forever, as well as my own.

What are the biggest challenges you face as a musician?
A big challenge is being extroverted. I like to keep to myself, and don’t like to socialize with other people due to feeling extremely judged by anyone I happen to talk to. Also, letting the world know however I’m feeling through my lyrics. While it can be very touching, it is anxiety-inducing because others around the world that I have no clue exist, know me on a somewhat personal level. It’s pretty freaky to think about. 

Name three people who have influenced your music, and tell us why- Living or dead.
Growing up with my dad behind the wheel, the only music to blast out of his speakers was the one and only Bruce Springsteen. Such a powerful presence.
Paul McCartney always spoke to me on a personal level. His sweet and soft voice, while being able to really make it wild and raspy is something I like to think I do a good job at with my own music. 
Also, Ed Sheeran was a recent artist who really impacted me as a musician. A funny looking awkward kid with tattoos and messy hair, that has the voice of absolute gold. I admired that, being an awkward funny looking teenager myself.

Do you have any recent or upcoming projects you'd like to share with us? Tell us about it.
I have an album in the works called “Hyphen". The idea came to me at a sad time. I was attending a funeral of an old friend, whom I called my little brother. After we were leaving the grave site, his father shows me the place holder headstone, in place for the real one that is in the works. I see, “1996-2013” and I think… That hyphen represents everything he did from the moment he was brought into this world, to the second he left. It hit home pretty hard. The album is a dedication to him and his life, with the songs being lessons learned in my short time so far on this earth. 

What is your ideal or target audience?
Anyone who can relate to my music! I believe my music is made for the ears of all ages. It is fun, while also being relaxing to listen too. 

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process..
I do write my own music. It all starts with a simple idea, feeling, or experience that I want to write about. Then, I compose the instrumental part of my music to fit the feel of whatever I’m trying to represent. The lyrics just flow naturally. You can’t force feelings, feelings just happen.

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
Radio Airplay has given me worldwide exposure for my music. Being able to target listeners. It's mind boggling when I think about how many people are listening to my music. It's the best when listeners fan me from all over the world, or someone leaves their email or a fan takes the time to actually leave a comment. In the long grind to to get established in a very competitive industry, Radio Airplay gives me a proven source that people are listening and connecting with my music. That is super cool!


"Heart of Glass"



www.lukeunderhill.com 
Follow Luke on: Twitter: @lukeunderhill_
Instagram: @lukeunderhill
Facebook: Luke Underhill