July 12, 2016

Center Stage - Cadence Kid

Meet Cadence Kid, our latest Center Stage artist and the Grand Prize winner of the 2016 Radio Airplay Summer Song Contest. 

Known for his Orchestration & Composing on films such as Dementia (NY times Critics Choice),Proxy, Dream Theater's #1 Album "The Astonishing", Lynsanity and many others; now turns his efforts towards songwriting.

Multi-instrumentalist Cadence Kid (Jason Turbin) has teamed up with 3x Grammy Producer Cassidy Turbin (Beck, Bat For Lashes, Thurston Moore etc...) to give us a song perfect for summer.

Hold On Me is a true indie pop anthem, filled with memorable melodies and a gentle, yet energetic feel that explores themes of love and adventure. 

Get to know the talented artist in our newest feature and Q&A below, and make sure to check out the two awesome music videos at the end of the page for "Hold On Me" and "Whistling Your Name" 

What was the inspiration behind writing and recording the winning Summer Contest song "Hold On Me"?
I really love Summer. I just wanted to make a tune to capture it in sound and video. 

Describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence.
So far, "undecided".....I keep writing songs and each one has it's own thing going on so time will tell. 

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
My parents would play Barbra Streisand to put me to sleep as a baby and Jethro Tull to get me amped...it was a mixed bag of music styles for sure.

What was the first tune(s) you learned?
House of the Rising Sun! 

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process
I usually start with a melody and build the song around it recording all the instruments myself. After I'm happy with the results I take it over to my producer Cassidy Turbin who imports all my tracks into Protools and we go through the song again taking care of fine details. At this point I might redo a baseline, throw out a guitar part at a section etc... making little changes here and there as he mixes the song.  

If you were to cover another artist's album, which would you pick and why?
That's a tough question....so many great artist! I don't think I could pick just one and leave out the rest.

Let me ask another question then. If you were stuck on an deserted island and could only listen to one album, what album would that be? Sorry, this may be even a tougher question!
I'm currently listening to Mort Garson's Plantasia  

What is the rest of 2016 looking like for you? Upcoming projects?  Can you give us a little hint, on what we can expect for this year?
The Plan is to keep releasing more songs/more music videos. I just want to enjoy the creative process and see where it takes me. I'm currently editing a new music video for a song I'm hoping to release sometime after summer. 

Sounds awesome. Do you every play your songs live with a band or have any upcoming shows planned for the year?
I don't yet play live... since I'm a "one man band" playing all the instruments in the recording process and I think I would need to hire at least 4 to 5 players to learn and perform most of the important elements in a live setting…we’ll see how that goes in the future:)

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate their creativity?
If it has to do with Wilderness you can count me in. I love Nature!

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
You guys are helping independent artist and keeping good music alive!

"Hold On Me"



"Whistling Your Name"