Hailing from Canberra, Australia, MAXO is taking the music world by storm. After releasing his first single 'Won't Let You Go' in 2015 MAXO began scoring regular gigs around the east coast of Australia and performing in front of 10k+ crowds! His 2nd single 'Lost & Found' took off on the TripleJ Unearthed Charts making it to #1 on the Pop charts and #8 Overall. After the success, MAXO was quick to release 'Meant To Be', which made it to #7 on the iTunes singer/songwriter charts opening weekend. MAXO followed the momentum of the Top 10 releases with his smash hit ‘Live in the Moment’ accompanied by a massive headlining tour in 2017. ‘Live in the Moment’ introduced a more upbeat side of MAXO with the same ‘catchy as’ lyrics fans had come to expect. In September of 2017 MAXO released his 2nd single of the year 'Without You'. The impressive year ended with a 10 show North American Tour, 8 of which were sponsored by the extremely selective ‘Live at Aloft’ tour series. 2018 was another big one for the charismatic singer/songwriter after releasing his single ‘Never Ever’ which led to another US headline tour and many festivals throughout Australia. MAXO has hit the ground running in 2019 with the release of his newest single ‘Light It Up’ which has charted on iTunes Australia and has been well received both Nationally and Internationally.
1.Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?
It would have to be a pop, folk, soft rock, singer-songwriter sound, mainly feel good, inspiring music similar to a mix of Artists such as The Script, Matchbox Twenty, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons and Ed Sheeran.
2. What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
My earliest music-related memory would have to be when I was in pre-school dancing on the couch, doing the moves to Grease Lightning haha
3. If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?
Ooo, this one’s a tough one! But probably The Maine’s ‘Can’t Stop Won’t Stop’ , I grew up listening to them and there’s not one song on it I don’t like.
4. Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.
Yeah I write all my own songs, I don’t really have a process when they come, they come. But a lot of the time I’ll find a pattern I like on the guitar and I’ll mumble along to it and find that one hook line that sticks, then will build a song around it.
5. Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's your creative juices flowing?
Just life, and moments in life also a great feel good film and other music.
6. What has been a highlight for you in the past year? (Either personally or for your music career.)
A few songs starting to get picked up has been one of the big ones, starting to get the feeling as a stayer in the music industry.
7. What's next? Can you give us a hint for what's to come for remainder of 2019?
New music, new shows and potentially a multi-continental tour on the cards.
8. What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
I do LOVE both! But there’s no greater feeling in the world than performing on stage!
9. What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?
Ash Gale’s ‘Sing My Way’ has been on repeat lately. I’ve been recording with him down in Adelaide a bit recently and it’s definitely an anthem to get you pumped for the long drive haha.
10. Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.
I’m actually disappointed I haven’t had too many embarrassing moments so far! But I recently played a festival and someone yelled out ‘your fly is undone’ and It was, but wasn’t to embarrassed as it does come undone a lot on the skinny jeans haha
11. What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
Lately I haven’t been doing too much outside of music, but I do love to watch movies, I get great inspiration from good films.
I never thought I’d end up being a Musical Artist, I sort of just fell into it and the passion grew. I actually have a degree in Mechatronics Engineering which is what I set off to do after school.
13. If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be?
THANK YOU!!! This industry is actually the hardest to crack in the world, it means so much to me every like, share, comment, stream, purchase, attendance, clap, high-five, fist bump, everything which helps me on my way. You guys are why I’m here! Thank you so so much!