January 23, 2019

Artist Spotlight ★ Russ Parrish ★ Runner Up Prize Winner for the RadioAirplay.com Holiday Song Contest

Russ Parrish is an award winning singer/songwriter Nashville native who moved to Minnesota in 2016.

Influenced by artists and bands like Switchfoot, NEEDTOBREATHE, and Phil Wickham, his desire is to write and play songs of hope that everyone can sing.

Russ has won several awards including grand prize in the 2018 John Lennon Songwriting Contest in the gospel category, grand prize in the 2017 Minnesota Sate Fair Amateur Talent Contest, and honorable Mention in American Songwriter Magazine.

His music focuses on the journey between faith and doubt, seeking the light of hope wherever darkness is found. Hear the journey in his songs.

Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?

Honestly, I just take whatever I’m feeling at the time and make some music with whatever lyrics are going on in my head… it’s kind of a mess of pop/rock/folk/singer-songwriter…yeah….I’m confused too…

 
What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?

When I was like a year old I helped move my parents piano in the house as you can see here…


If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?

Definitely The Beatles album “Please Please Me”. I play “I Saw Her Standing There” at every gig. And I mean…come on… it’s The Beatles.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.

Yeah, every song is a little different in the way I approach them, but the one thing they all have in common is…coffee. Every great song starts with a cup of coffee. Once I’ve got the juices flowing, I usually create a demo using Ableton as my DAW, then just start chipping away at the parts I don’t like until the muses are content. 

Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's your creative juices flowing?
One of my greatest desires is to see everyone singing along. My inspiration comes from people. Their stories, their lives, their hopes and dreams. I want to write with encouragement and passion where everyone feels a part of something bigger than themselves.

What has been a highlight for you in the past year?  (Either personally or for your music career.)

Oh man. Probably winning the John Lennon Songwriting Contest in the Gospel category with my song “I Am Yours”. Either that or playing at NAMM this week! Cant wait!

What 's next? Can you give us a hint for whats to come remainder of 2018 into 2019?

Playing at NAMM, and currently working on a full-length album. Going in a new direction than I had expected when I started writing 2 years ago. Looks like I’m heading towards CCM and Praise & Worship music. Stay tuned, should be some big stuff happening this summer…

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?

Hands down performing live! I enjoy my time in the studio, but I get lonely doing a lot of the work by myself. I love people, and there’s nothing better than getting to play and sing my songs with complete strangers. You never know what could happen… I’ve stood on a table or 2 to play my song “Washed By the Water” to end my show. People seem to like that?

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?

The 3 artists I’ve been listening to lately are Phil Wickham, David Leonard, and Switchfoot. I cant seem to get “Till I Found You” by Phil Wickham out of my head…

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.

There’s kind of a running joke that I always forget the words to one of the songs I wrote for my wife called “Evelyn”. At this point I just make up new lyrics each time I play it…

What's one thing people should know about you?

I can juggle

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?

I’m actually an avid rock climber… or at least used to be… I used to climb outside or in the gym about 4-5 times a week. Over the last year it’s been tough balancing climbing and writing, but I’m getting back into it. And yes, the more I climb, the clearer my mind gets which helps my writing.

If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be?

If you can’t find a light, be the light, and shine that light bright.

Russ' Links:
John Lennon Songwriting Contest: https://jlsc.com/winners/2018a/winners.php