December 12, 2018

Artist Spotlight ★ Happy Freuds ★ RELIX Magazine December Contest Winner!

Band started as part of lessons brothers Teo & Victor had in an after school activity called Rock Academy. Towards summer 2016, the band became a "band" when local musicians from 2 other bands in Javea joined on rhythm guitar and bass. Later in the fall, they were joined by singer and bass player, Jack Hunter, who replaced the initial bass player Jonathan who from the beginning had a scheduled move that fall. During summer 2018 another line-up change occurred due to different goals and musical choices when Jack left the band to focus on more acoustic sets on his own. Still a young band with a drummer that just turned 16, the guitar and vocals by Teo at 19 and recently joined by Donato on bass on 21. Completing the band is Sergio on rhythm guitar who has been a part of the group since summer 2016. The band's somewhat authentic, 70's style rock mixed with alt. rock was always a hard sell in an area completely dominated by cover and tribute bands. During the last 2 years, sticking to their style and goals, they've slowly but surely built up both respect and a following all over the east coast of Spain landing them gigs both north and south and also headlining a couple of large outdoors concerts on the Costa Blanca. They are currently in the final stages of completing their first full album of original material scheduled for release end of January 2019.



Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?
Teo- Analogue classic rock, mixed together with a variety of other styles, but while attempting to stay true to the former 

Sergio- It seems to me that we have achieved a very rocky and forceful sound that today is no longer heard so much. I'm proud of it.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
Teo- Listening to David Sylvian and Luka Bloom when going to bed, specifically the albums
Everything and Nothing and Turf respectively



Sergio- Go through the music stores and watch the CDs with curiosity to listen to them all.

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?
Teo- Mighty Joe Moon by Grant Lee Buffalo. Think their style is quite close to ours but
sounds completely different. It would be really interesting to try and make something cool out of it

Sergio- A very difficult question, I think that most of the bands that I like are no longer active or have changed their style a lot, haha!

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.
Teo- Our songwriting style tends to be one of us bringing either a riff or a more complete idea, with the rest of us then picking apart to try and improve certain parts. I say "Tends To Be" as with some other tracks, the base was created with all of us in the room just jamming.

Sergio- Normally it is the one who brings an idea, and from there we add, review, and make changes until we have something that we all like.

Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's your creative juices flowing?
Teo- No, and I hate that there isn't! Music and Lyrics tend to come straight out of the blue when playing or even when doing anything else other than music. If I manage to catch those snippets I can have something to work with. But if there is anything to inspire me to write I still haven't found it.


Sergio- Normally when we are creating something I try to remember songs that I like and the way they are constructed, so I learn how to structure and form the song and get new ideas.


What has been a highlight for you in the past year?  (Either personally or for your music career.)
Teo- We played a concert to promote a local festival. That gig was perfect in every sense. Great sound, great response from the audience and ton of energy on the stage. Best gig we've had so far, period.

Sergio- Winning Relix magazine & Jango Radio selection....and yes it IS true.

What 's next? Can you give us a hint for whats to come remainder of 2018 into 2019?
Teo- More, further, and better, think that's all I have to say, haha!


Sergio- I think that at the moment none of us know what can happen, but everything indicates positive things.

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
Teo- Hard to say. I've enjoyed doing both and there's been times when I've not enjoyed both. It seems to depend on when we are recording and how far into completion the track is. We have finished tracks in the studio many times, things like solos, or a quick change or omission of a part, and the more changes we do, the more frustrating it can be. Similarly, playing a gig in an empty hall, or at a venue where nobody seems to care you're there is very disheartening, but this is what you have to do to go further!


Sergio- Play live.

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?
Teo- It's always too many to count. Yello, Talking heads, Yes, Smashing pumkins and Rush are bands I'm listening to at the moment, but the pool switches often. A single song I could point to would be sahib Teri Bandi - Maki Madni by Derek Trucks on his songlines album. Man, what a song that is!


Sergio- My favorite band is Red Hot Chili Peppers in their time more rock and funk, I've always thought they have a lot of energy. I find myself listening to "Give it Away" quite often.


Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.
Teo- I got kissed by an elderly woman... nothing else of that magnitude comes to mind, haha!

Sergio- A kiss from an old woman haha

What's one thing people should know about you?
Teo- I'm from Sweden, not Switzerland, and no, the countries are not next to each other!

Sergio- I think that for now they can see my personality on stage and I think that is the most important thing.

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
Teo- Games, Movies and Books, usually in that order but can vary depending on what the Game, movie and book is. Movies and books tend to give me ideas to work with or at least to consider when writing words to songs, while games... help in
hand-eye coordination and dexterity, I guess? haha!

Sergio- At the moment my hobby is my job as an interior designer. I'm sure it rejuvenates my creativity in a way.

If you had a message to give to your fans, what would it be?

Sergio- They bet on Happy Freuds, we are a new band but we are going to get songs of great quality.

Happy Freuds' Links:
http://www.happyfreuds.com
https://www.facebook.com/HappyFreuds/