November 14, 2018

Artist Spotlight ★ David Leask ★ ISC 2017 Finalist


Artist Spotlight ★ David Leask ★ ISC 2017 Finalist

"Leask brings to his music a compellingly honest baring of the soul"-
Toronto Star

"Leask writes great songs... I've added him to an amazing group of talent that includes John Prine, Joe Henry and John Hiatt."
-Brandon Sun


Originally from Scotland, David Leask is a born song chaser and a natural storyteller with soulful vocals & great songs. His latest album, “Six in 6/8”, straddles folk, country, roots-rock, Celtic and soul, all wrapped up in his favorite time signature – 6/8. It showcases a cast of 19 incredible musicians recorded by 10 different engineers in 11 different studios in 4 diverse and inspiring locales - Toronto, Montreal, Nashville and Muscle Shoals. Amazingly, 3 of the 6 songs on the album are current semi- finalists in the International Songwriting Competition.




Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?

A blend of Country/Americana and Celtic soul - songs that try and tell stories of my squinted view of life and what it means to be human.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?

Being around the piano with my Grandmother playing and everyone singing.

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?

Hard to say.  I have covered a number of tunes over the years and it tends to be because of the song not the artist or the album.  Usually I'm pulled in by how good the song is and how the lyric and melody connects with me .  Two examples of this would be "This Time 'Round" by Darrell Scott and "Stronger Back" by Doug Gill both lesser known singer songwriters that write fantastic songs.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.

Yes, I've been writing for a long time and still revel in the mystery of it all.  It's a bit like hunting but maybe less about the kill - an equal amount of you going hunting for the song and the song also hunting you down.  Many times, it's about waiting and listening and sometimes trying to wrestle the truth to the ground, and at times it can feel a bit like beating yourself up in the process!  It helps to have co-writers in the room to share perspectives and keep watching and listening in your own unique ways until you land on that special common ground that's captured in words and music.

Does anything in particular inspire you to write? What get's your creative juices flowing?

I try to write songs with a depth and emotion that's meaningful to me and seems to have meaning in other people's lives as well - something that contains a kind of universal truth, that has a chance of remaining relevant.  On my latest record "Six in 6/8" the song “Can’t Make It Back Home” tackles the subject of veterans’ PTSD and “When You Think No One Loves You” touches depression and mental health problems and “Caught In The Tide” deals with the stress of staying afloat in turbulent economic times. So I'm not afraid of mining music in places of struggle but I've been told that these same songs are also filled with hope so there's a balance of light and dark that seems to emerge in the stuff I write.

What has been a highlight for you in the past year?  (Either personally or for your music career.)

Releasing  "Six in 6/8" and having people be moved by the songs either at live gigs or after listening to the record.

What 's next? Can you give us a hint for whats to come remainder of 2018 into 2019?

I have another record that is starting to bubble up to the surface and I'm beginning to see a little of what it looks like, so that's cool.  I am also planning to tour Europe in 2019 so I'm very much looking forward to getting a chance to play some of my songs over there.

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?

I do enjoy the recording and the creative process in the studio but I much prefer the opportunity to be in the moment that live performing allows me.

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?

I just listened to a new song by Stars called "Are You With Me" that I fell in love with.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.

Sorry, not any that I can seem to remember.  There are those moments playing live when you have a brain cramp and forget words or, I use a loop pedal so you hit a clanger right in the middle of this great loop you've built but that's not embarrassing per se, just part of the rough and tumble of live performance and being in the moment.

What's one thing people should know about you?

I am a forced to be heckled with!

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?

Walking, which is always good for clearing the head and for creativity.  It's how Sting wrote "Fields Of Gold" and motion can generate e-motion which for me is the essence of a song!

If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be?

Thanks for going deep on a dive beyond the surface and meeting me in the music!

David's Links:
http://www.davidleask.com
https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/artist/david-leask/6102071?mt=1&app=music