January 14, 2010

Artist Interview - Paul Liddell

Check it out, quick interview here with Paul Liddell from the UK who was one of our Top 5 PopScore recipients this week...Nice one Paul.




















Jango: When did you start playing music?


Paul Liddell: I started out as a classical trumpet playing child prodigy. Then I heard Nirvana’s 'Nevermind' and Pearl Jam’s 'Vs' in the same week and promptly ditched the brass and pinched my Mother's acoustic guitar. I couldn't play, so I used open tunings to get around my ineptitude. These tunings later became part of my style, and I play nearly all of my songs in altered tunings now. Several unsuccessful grunge/metal and rock bands followed, until I realized that I liked acoustic guitars best, and resolved to go solo. I've been doing it ever since.


J: Where are you based?


PL: A lovely place called Whitburn. It's a coastal village in the North East of England, just outside of Sunderland. It's nice to see the sea every day, although the wind threatens to tear the roof off on a regular basis.


J: What are the 3 major influences on your music?


PL: I grew up around lots of music, so really I've been absorbing all kinds of stuff since I was small. The big three are probably Pearl Jam (especially their more acoustic moments), The Wonder Stuff (for the brilliant 'English sounding' pop songs) and The Beatles (obviously, just incredible). Except I don't actually sound anything like any of these people!


J: How would you describe your sound?


PL: It can be a bit of a mish mash. I tend to move around a bit, stylistically. For me the focus is always on the song, so with that in mind if you could imagine Neil Young's more electric moments, some of the more introspective songs from Pearl Jam and the very English sounding nature of Nick Drake, then you're getting close. Vocally people have said they hear elements of Jeff Buckley and the occasional gravel of Lennon. I've also managed to pick up an unflinching pop sensibility from somewhere, so there is usually a big fat chorus.


J: Any big releases coming up?


PL: Yeah, I have a new EP called 'Help Yourself Float' out on the 28th March 2010 with 360 Degree Music www.360degreemusic.com. I'm really happy with it. I think it's a strong set of songs, and the feel and attitude on the EP reflect my live performances more than my previous recordings. I'm really pleased about that.


J: Do you perform live and if so where can people see your live show?


PL: I do, I played literally hundreds of gigs last year. I play all over the UK in all kinds of venues. There is a full list of all gigs at www.paulliddell.com. I also play house gigs. That is, gigging in peoples living rooms. If anyone wants me to come and play, feel free to drop me a line!


Thanks Paul