January 12, 2010

Artist Interview - Jocelyn Scofield

Here's a quick conversation with Jocelyn Scofield who had one of the top 5 PopScores the first week it launched. Her music is great and you should check it out.















Jango: When did you start playing music?


Jocelyn Scofield: I've been singing since before I can remember. Both my parents are music teachers, so I've always been in a musical atmosphere. However, I started playing the piano, writing songs, and performing when I was in college.

J: Where are you based?


JS: That is always a tough question. The most honest answer is out of my car. I travel quite a bit and split my time when not touring between Lansing (MI), Nashville, and Los Angeles, usually writing and/or co-writing.

J: What are the 3 major influences on your music?


JS: I think I have to split my influences into two groups: singing & songwriting. For singing, I've spent hours and hours listening to Mariah Carey, Karen Carpenter & Ella Fitzgerald. For songwriting, I've tried to learn as much as I can from monster songwriters like Bob Dylan, Carol King, and Freddy Mercury.

J: How would you describe your sound?


JS: My sound is definitely a hybrid of musical styles. I would say artsy pop with a combination of jazz, classical, and folk influences. When compared to artists, I'm a cross between Regina Spektor and Sara Bareilles. Or maybe a happy Fiona Apple.

J: Any big releases coming up?


JS: I just released an EP in October '09. It's called "A Witty Girl" and was quite a process to get out. But I'm really proud of it and it's available on iTunes. For 2010, I will be promoting that album and working on two other projects. I'm writing for a new album and also working on songs for a holiday CD. I'm hoping to release both of those in Winter of 2010.

J: Do you perform live and if so where can people see your live show?


JS: I've pretty much spent the last four years traveling and performing around the country. I'm currently working on another tour to support the latest album. For this tour, I want to really make sure I tour cities where I have a strong fan base. The best things fans can to do, is subscribe to Eventful and "demand" me to come to their city and/or join my mailing list and make sure they tell me where they are located. if they friend/follow me on Facebook or Twitter, I also give updates for spontaneous shows or writers nights.