June 1, 2018

Center Stage - Alicia Michilli

Meet Alicia Michilli - A 26 year old R&B /Soul artist from Detroit, and Radio Airplay's newest Center Stage artist.

Most widely recognized for an impressive run on the popular national television show, AMERICA’S GOT TALENT, this Nashville transplant was raised on the Detroit Motown sounds. Those influences are undisguised in her music. Her soulful and powerful vocals have gained the attention and support of many fellow writers and performers. Recently, she had the privilege of opening for Andra Day. She also fulfilled a long time dream of performing alongside her hero, Keb’Mo, for his monthly Blues Jam at the Fontanel in Nashville. Alicia was then asked to perform at Nick Cannon Rocks Times Square in support of, St Mary's Children's Hospital, where she sang alongside Grammy award winning rapper Nelly. Alicia recently released a new single entitled, "Crazy." It can be found on ITunes and Spotify along with her self titled EP. She is currently working on a new EP to be released this July. She will be opening for Keb’ Mo’ and Taj Mahal for their TajMo Tour this July and August. You can visit aliciamichilli.com for more information on tour dates and releases.

Get to know Alicia a little better, find out what inspires her, and what she's got in store for her promising career in the latest Q&A feature


Can you describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence?
If 1960’s Motown had a baby with Tom Petty’s ear candy, got side swiped with funk, and rolled through the fields of soulful pop.

What's your earliest music-related memory growing up?
Learning how to play “Circle of Life” from Lion King, by ear, on a tiny battery powered keyboard.

If you were to cover another band/artist's album, which would you pick and why?
Either Emily King’s “The Switch” and Amos Lee self titled album 2005 - Because they both got me through some significant seasons in my life.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process
I do write and compose my own songs. I mainly start with a groove/title and then write lyrics and melody around whatever that mood is.

What was the highlight for you in 2017? Either personally or for your music career?
My highlight from 2017 is writing for my new EP and releasing my single, “Crazy”

What have you been working on recently? Can you give us a hint for whats to come in 2018?
I’ve been working on a new EP which Im extremely excited to release this July. I will be touring this July-August with Keb Mo and Taj Mahal. I’m going to be opening for 9 shows and then also singing BGV’s as well. Im SUPER excited to work with them both!

What do you like more: Performing live or recording in the studio?
I enjoy performing live WAY more than working in the studio. I feel like I perform better when I have an audience to feed off of. I enjoy the connection that comes from performing to real people. The studio is a lot more claustrophobic in my opinion. I hate being in a tiny dark room with myself. Its like singing under a microscope.

What are some artists/bands that you're into at the moment? Or any particular song you find yourself listening to over and over?
I’ve been really digging Janelle Monae’s new album, Dirty Computer. I’ve been a huge fan of hers for years now and im just in love with her creative nature and brave, honest lyrics. Also, Big Theif is giving me ALL the feels. Their lyrics knock me out. Another album im really into at the moment is, “By The Way, I Forgive You”, by Brandi Carlile. Her voice is just massive and so empowering. Not to mention her writing is incredibly moving. She’s a total badass.

Any embarrassing on stage moments you'd like to share? C’mon, don’t be shy.
When I was in middle school I finally made the talent show in my final year, (9th grade). I think they held it during our lunch hours so we had a very limited amount of time for our acts. Anyway, I can’t remember exactly which song I did, but it had this really big note in the bridge that I had been practicing for a long time. Unfortunately, this big note was after my allotted time slot and they shut my music off before I could get to it. I thought it was a technical difficulty so I just kept on singin...acapella. Unbeknownst to me, there was no technical difficulty... Then once I didn’t get the hint they shut my mic off. Ha It was awesome.

What's one thing people should know about you?
I love people. I love them almost to a fault. If I do nothing else in this life, I want to help as many humans as I possibly can. People need to be heard and feel loved and validated. I hope to be one of the people that listens to understand.

What do you enjoy doing outside of music? Does your hobby rejuvenate your creativity?
I love any activity that involves being outdoors. Hiking, camping and rock climbing are wonderful. I also really enjoy doing yoga and reading. Sometimes if Im feelin' saucy, I like to paint. All of the above play an important role in my creativity.

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
What I like most about Radio Airplay is that it gives independent artists a platform to reach new listeners from all over.