July 8, 2013

Airplay Band Of The Month - M. Lui.


Meet the modest and inspiring M. Lui.
Bred in California and based out of Brooklyn, her raw and honest soulful folk songs are melting the hearts of listeners worldwide. 

Either alone with her electric guitar or backed by talented musicians, M.Lui is making a mark in this world with her music and spirit. Bonnie Raitt, watch out! 


Describe Your Sound In One Sentence.
My sound is kind of like a soulfully wrapped electric guitar that has a little drip of honey on it. This is a difficult question, and most likely a confusing answer.

What inspires you to make music?
When it comes down to it, I think it's the random connection you can have with someone. Meaning music can inspire a connection between two strangers, and I really love that. I think it's also finding tones and melodies that make your skin and mind settle down, finding a calm within your daily life. But having just written that, I find myself laughing because its not always as eloquent as I might make it sound. There's a lot of sweating and sore feet involved too!

Name three people who have influenced your music, and tell us why- Living or dead.
First and foremost, my musician community. Sometimes those are the only shows I go to for a period of time, and I can't believe how many of my friends have made me cry, then want to go home practice guitar and write a song as good as theirs. Seeing them play live feeds me in a way I can't fully describe. Other than that, I think Andrew Bird is brilliant, the way he is able to compose his music along with his voice is breath taking but mostly so present. I think his melodies have been the most inspiring to me. Lastly, Tracy Chapman has been a present force of great music in my life since i was i was young.

How do you connect with fans and get them involved in your music?
I try to treat them as friends. Share with your friends and they will share with you.

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay?
It's actually really amazed me over the past year how many people from around the world have listened to my music through Radio Airplay. I think one of the best features from an artist perspective is that it gives you a little feed about who is listening, and where they are in the world.

Do you have any recent or upcoming projects you'd like to share with us? Tell us about it.
I'm working on a record with another group I'm in called T.H.E.M. which I'm really looking forward to. I've also been working on a rock opera called Smile Swamp Princess with a ton of amazing musicians and visual artists. We will be performing in New York the first week of September!

Get the new record at mlui.bandcamp.com
Check out T.H.E.M https://www.facebook.com/themladies
Come smile! www.Smileswampprincess.tumblr.com